Dvla Registration Assignment Submission

These registrations are dateless and can be assigned to any appropriate vehicle registered within mainland Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Please click View for a selection of Northern Ireland (NI) registrations that can be purchased for a fixed price.


What You Need To Know After Buying

These are some of the questions you may have after you've made your purchase. Click on the relevant question from the list below to view the answers.

What happens once I have purchased a personalised registration number from the DVLA?

For online purchases bought through this website, you will receive an email confirmation of sale within 24 hours, and a Certificate of Entitlement (V750) will be posted to the address you gave, which you should receive within two weeks. This is your proof of entitlement and the application form you must use to assign the registration number to a vehicle.

For auction purchases, you should receive the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) within two weeks after your payment has cleared.

You must apply to DVLA to assign the registration number to a vehicle. You must not display the registration number on a vehicle until you have received confirmation from DVLA in the form of a Registration Certificate (V5C) in the new registration number.

You have until the expiry date shown on your certificate to have the number assigned to a vehicle.

I have seen a different registration number that I would like instead, can I exchange my purchase?

We don't exchange purchases, but under certain circumstances, you can cancel your purchase and get a refund (see Can I cancel my purchase? ). You can buy a different registration number by following the normal purchase process.

Can I cancel my purchase?

Please be aware that the following information only applies to fixed price registrations sold through this website. Our cancellation policy does not apply to DVLA Auction purchases.

If you have not already applied to put the registration number onto a vehicle and wish to cancel your purchase, email cancellations@dvla.gsi.gov.uk within 10 working days after the date of purchase, and the reason for your request will be considered.

Applications to cancel made after 10 working days will not be accepted, but you can still apply for a refund of the £80.00 assignment fee. (see 'I no longer want to assign this registration number to a vehicle. Can I claim any money back? ').

In your email please include:

  • The registration number you purchased
  • Your full name and address, as it was given at the time of purchase. If it was a company purchase, please also provide your name and position in that company
  • A declaration that you will destroy the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) once we have confirmed that your purchase has been cancelled (or if you have not yet received the certificate, you will destroy it upon receipt).

We aim to reply to you within three working days of your request, and if approved, a refund will be made to the payment card used at the time of purchase. We reserve the right to charge a cancellation administration fee in the event of excessive or irregular cancellation requests.

How do I apply to put the registration number on a vehicle?

When you are ready to put your new registration onto your vehicle, you will need to apply to assign it.

Unregistered vehicles

If you are getting a brand new (unregistered) vehicle, ask the vehicle dealer if it can be registered with the new registration.

  • Complete section 1 on your Certificate of Entitlement (V750) - Select 'unregistered vehicle' and ensure you sign and date this section.
  • Give the certificate to the dealer before they register the vehicle.

If you are applying to register a vehicle yourself (not through a new vehicle dealer) include the completed V750 with your application. More information on registering a vehicle can be found at www.gov.uk/vehicle-registration

Registered vehicles

If assigning online,

For those vehicles that have an existing registration number, you can apply to have the new number assigned using the DVLA online service, www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle. You will need the vehicle's Registration Certificate (V5C) and Certificate of Entitlement (V750).

If assigning by post,

Complete section 1 of the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) - Select 'registered vehicle', enter the vehicle's existing registration, it's validation character (found on the V5C), and ensure you sign and date this section. Send the following documents to DVLA Personalised Registrations, Swansea, SA99 1DS

  • V750
  • V5C
  • £80 Assignment fee (only applicable if the registration was purchased before 1 May 1993)

If you have just bought the vehicle and you do not yet have a V5C in your name you can use the New keeper's details section (V5C/2) provided by the previous keeper. The V5C/2 must be the most recent issued, and you cannot use the V5C/2 if the previous keeper has applied to keep the vehicle's existing registration number. If you are using the V5C/2 then you'll also need to include a completed V62 with your application.

Please note: If you have just bought the vehicle and you want to drive it on the road you must tax it immediately before you apply to assign the new registration number. Go online at www.gov.uk/vehicletax or to a Post Office branch that deals with vehicle tax using the 'New keeper's details' (V5C/2) section. For further information please visit www.gov.uk/dvla/nomoretaxdisc

The vehicle's existing registration number will be withdrawn, unless you apply to transfer or retain it. If you wish to transfer or retain that vehicle registration number, you will need to fill in and submit a V317 at the same time as the assignment.

What happens next?

The DVLA may want to inspect your vehicle. If so, they will contact you.

The DVLA will send you a new V5C within two weeks of receiving your application. However, this could take up to four weeks if you sent us a V62, or if we need to inspect the vehicle.

If (after eight weeks) a new V5C has not arrived, telephone DVLA enquiries on 0300 790 6802.

How do I get the new plates made?

How do I apply to put the registration number onto someone elses vehicle?

You will need to have the registered keeper of the vehicle named as a Nominee on the Certificate of Entitlement (V750). You can name a Nominee at the time of purchase, or you can add or change the Nominee later by applying online via 'My Account' or by post. See section C on the reverse of the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) for more details.

If applying by post, you can also apply to assign your registration number to the vehicle at the same time.

I no longer want to assign this registration number to a vehicle. Can I claim any money back?

If the entitlement has expired and you don't extend it, the registration number will become void. If you are not going to assign the number to a vehicle, you can claim back the £80.00 assignment fee (which was included in the purchase price from May 1993) by filling in sections 4 and 6 on the Certificate of Entitlement (V750), and applying to DVLA. The request for a refund must be made within 6 years of the date of expiry.

You can also apply before the entitlement has expired, but please be aware that in doing so you will be giving up any right to the registration number and you will not be able to assign it to a vehicle.

See section F on the reverse of the Certificate of Entitlement (V750) for more details.

I haven't received my Certificate of Entitlement (V750) or I have lost/destroyed it. Can I get a replacement?

If you have not already applied to put the registration number onto a vehicle, and there is at least 5 days left before the expiry date, you can apply for a duplicate certificate online via 'My Account'. There is no fee for this. Please allow two weeks for delivery of the new certificate.

If there are at least four weeks left before the expiry date, you can also apply by post - dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk/contactus. Please confirm the registration number, your full name and address and the reason you need a duplicate certificate. Please allow three weeks for the delivery of the new certificate if applying by post.

I have changed address. How do I update this on my Certificate of Entitlement (V750)?

If you have not already applied to put the registration number onto a vehicle, and there is at least 5 days left before the expiry date, you can apply to change the address online via 'My Account'. Please allow two weeks for delivery of the new certificate.

You can also apply by post, please see section E on the reverse of the certificate. Please allow three weeks for the delivery of the new certificate if applying by post.

I have a Certificate of Entitlement (V750), how can I check that it is the latest valid certificate?

If you buy with us we can carry out transfers on your behalf. Just Contact Us for help!

Retention Certificates are ideal if you wish to keep the registration mark without transferring it to a vehicle – for example if you want to keep the registration as a short term investment. Assignment certificates can be obtained in someone else’s name so they are ideal if you want to buy a registration as a gift. Read on to find out what is involved with each of these processes.

Transferring registration marks to a vehicle

Before you can transfer a number plate to a vehicle, you must first have a valid DVLA certificate granting you rights to the registration mark. If you buy through us we will ensure that this is provided as part of the transaction.

There are two different forms which allow you rights to a registration:

Once you have your V750 or V778 certificate you can apply to the DVLA to assign the number plate to a vehicle. Remember you cannot make a vehicle look newer than it actually is! For example “TT51 AUD” can not go onto “Y344 JFD” and “K9 AMR” can not be transferred to “C557 TGB”.

Please Note: A UK personalised registration number can only be assigned to a vehicle which is licensed (or due to be licensed) and registered in the UK.  It is possible to transfer to a vehicle which is currently SORN, providing the vehicle has had no breaks in the taxation history.    In addition you cannot put a personalised registration number onto a vehicle currently displaying a ‘Q’ number plate.

You can now apply to assign Registration marks online using your V750 or V778 Certificate & V5C (receiving vehicle) Document reference numbers.   The site to do this  is  https://www.gov.uk/put-registration-number-vehicle

If you would rather apply by Post to assign the number plate, you must send the DVLA:

  • the completed V750 or V778, signed by the person named at the top of the certificate
  • the Registration Certificate (V5C) OR the new keeper supplement with a completed V62

The DVLA recommend you allow 14 days for the registration certificate (V5C) to be returned to you following your application.    Current address for Cherished Number applications is DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1DS

The vehicle must also be taxed or SORN, although you can submit the appropriate taxation fees and documents along with the assignment request if needed.

Once DVLA confirms the transfer you may then display your new cherished number plates on your vehicle.   The plates themselves, can be purchased from www.plates-posted.co.uk for quality 3D Perspex plates or simply add them to your shopping cart during the checkout for your registration.    We request that orders for plates are not made with plates-posted unless you have purchased the personalised reg mark from us previously.

0 Thoughts to “Dvla Registration Assignment Submission

Leave a comment

L'indirizzo email non verrà pubblicato. I campi obbligatori sono contrassegnati *